Saturday 22 January 2011

lucky ones

I was undecided whether to call this entry "Lucky Ones" or "Burnt-Out". But I guess I'm not burnt out (yet) and lucky ones best describe those people I'm going to write about.

I'm talking about the lucky people in general. There are factors like hard work, talent, and perseverance, but I gotta say, luck does come in handy. I mean, you know what I mean, right? I don't have to explain.

And I'm not one of those people.

I guess somewhere in the blog where I wrote something about xenophobia, I said that if I were in a hostage situation, I'd be the first one who got shot or blown up to smithereens. I always think I stand out for all the bad reasons.

I've finally made a few friends here and somehow, some of those new friends also said the same thing: enrolling in the EF program (whether General English or University Preparation) is the only way for us to be in San Francisco, or USA.

Some of them realized that the universities are just too expensive or that they wouldn't have good TOEFL / SAT / GMAT / GRE or whatever score they need to be admitted in the colleges and universities of their choice.

Whereas for me, I feel I just won't be accepted at all because of my unimpressiveness. Yes, I can write, probably above average than many Indonesians (especially in English), but that doesn't mean that I can beat 10 other people in my league (University of San Francisco and St. Mary's College admit 10% of applicants). And I just don't feel I have that L-Factor. I just don't feel I have luck.

But while I'm here, I'm going to just work on my dance and the EF programs, and make the most of it. If I get accepted: yay! If I don't: well, no worries, at least my time will have been well-spent.

Here's a video I made. I had fun with Windows Live Movie Maker and found that the original length of the video (54 seconds) matches with the length of one of the songs in Coraline's soundtrack.

Coraline's one of my all-time favorite movies, too. Just so you know.

And I really have to remember to make more wide-screen videos.

1 comment: