Saturday 29 January 2011

a demonstration and a new do


It was drizzling in the afternoon when I walked to the Market Street BART station to head to ODC Studio, as when I walked out of the Mission BART station to the studio.

When I got back to the hostel, it was still drizzling in the Tenderloin, but apparently the drizzle didn't dampen the spirits of 400 something protesters (mostly Egyptians) on Market St. / Montgomery St. They were shouting, "Hey Hey Ho Ho Mubarak has to go!" all the way.

I gotta say, that reminds me of the demonstrations back in Jakarta. Although, in my city, even ten people holding picket signs in the famous Bunderan HI, is enough to cause a traffic jam in Thamrin area (about 1 km in perimeter).

Apparently, the demonstration is part of the Emergency Demonstration for Egyptian Solidarity. There's been awful lot of riots going on in Egypt right now. People demand Hosni Mubarak to step down. Please don't ask me why - I'm not really sure why. I'm ignorant in political issues.

Come to think of it, it's really sort of ironic. The demonstrations happen over weekend (Friday and Saturday - SF time) and there's also an Egyptian Dance workshop in Jakarta (featuring Nigma - organized by Dancewave Center & the velvetRAQS) on the same days! (Friday and Saturday - SF time which means Saturday and Sunday - Jakarta time).

Oh, and I just had a hair-cut. My hair was starting to look all weird and too long. When I was in the Mission district, I saw barbershops and hair salons that cost USD 5 for a hair cut. So I thought the price for that treatment in the Tenderloin wouldn't be too different. Boy was I in for a surprise!

So I went in to a hair salon not 1 minute walk away from the Hostel and asked the Chinese lady for a hair cut. She said it was USD 12. I guess I was too desperate for a haircut that I let her cut my hair (for less than 10 minutes).

The result is... well... too short (and manly) for my taste. But it's practical. I guess I won't have to have a haircut for another 2 months. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment