Sunday 10 April 2011

the san francisco maritime museum

My last post was almost a month ago! I can't believe this.

I'm so sorry. I should've written more than currently. This is the third week of school and my schedule is so crazy. I no longer have Fridays for myself. I have to switch my FCBD classes to 9 AM or 9.30 AM at the latest so I can come to school on time at 11.30 AM.

And then there's the homework.

Therefore, I've decided to post my homework and assignments here. So I can always cherish them and their sweet memories since I may have to go home in June 2011. Am I sad? Disappointed. Heartbroken. But I'll make it.

In the mean time, this is a little write-up for my Research Writing class. It was a nice and sunny day so each of us was assigned to research something around the Fisherman's Wharf. I went to the SF Maritime Museum with Yoomin, a Korean friend.

The San Francisco Maritime Museum is located in the Fisherman’s Wharf area, more specifically, at the end of it. The museum overlooks the beach and is adjacent to the Aquatic Park. Its operational hours are between 10 AM and 4 PM. In average, there are around 200 visitors on weekends and 100 visitors on weekdays. The SF Maritime Museum currently exhibits four ship replicas: the Kenilworth, the Preussen, the Kohala, and the Flying Cloud.

The walls of the museum boast the murals by Hilaire Hiller. The mural, painted in 1938, was restored in 2010. The SF Maritime Museum has four floors: the first floor is used as senior center, the second (ground) floor is for exhibition, while the third and fourth floors are currently being restored. Due to budget cuts, these upper floors will finish their restorations in 2012. The SF Maritime Museum’s funds come primarily from the National Parks Services and admission into the museum is free, but it never hurts to put a little money inside the donation box on your way out.

I know the pictures here don't do the museum justice, so I'll try to take more photos on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment